Sinus Infection Treatment
Take Control of Your Sinus Infection and Breathe Free!
Sinusitis is an infection of the sinus cavities and it’s frustrating symptoms can control your daily life. As you experience nasal drip, congestion, headaches, and facial pain you can’t focus on all that life has to offer. Sinusitis takes quality time from friends and family, reduces productivity at work, and prevents you from enjoying hobbies and leisure time. Frequent or severe sinus infections can also be an indicator of a more serious medical issue. Take back control of your life and experience freedom from sinusitis.
The board-certified team at Richmond Breathe Free Sinus and Allergy Centers will develop a customized treatment plan that gives you long-term relief and improves your overall well-being. Schedule an appointment today and look forward to breathing free again.Set an Appointment with Richmond Breathe Free Sinus & Allergy Centers
What is a Sinus Infection?
The air-filled spaces around the nose and eyes are known as sinus cavities. They are a critical part of your respiratory system and they contribute to your immune system as well as helping with vocal communication. These spaces help manage the air that you breathe by controlling humidity and filtering out foreign substances such as dust and germs.
The sinuses are able to filter out most foreign substances as they are trapped in mucus and naturally drained out of the body. When mold, bacteria, or viruses come into the sinus cavities, they can potentially become infected. As the immune system fights these substances, it may respond with swelling that blocks the natural flow of mucus and prevents the body from healing itself. These infections can also be complicated by allergies, nasal polyps, a deviated septum, or other medical conditions. If left untreated, sinus infections have the potential to become a serious medical issue that will contribute to a decline in overall health.
Sinus infection symptoms are often mistaken for allergies or the common cold. If you are experiencing any of the following, then you should be evaluated for sinusitis.
- Postnasal Drip - When mucus runs from the back of the nose into the throat.
- Nasal Discharge - Abnormally colored green or yellow mucus draining from the nose.
- Congestion - Inflamed nasal passages that cause a blocked or stuffy nose.
- Fatigue - A lack of restful sleep that results from sinus inflammation.
- Facial Pain - Headaches, pain around the eyes and nose, or pain in the jaw or teeth.
- Swelling - Painful inflammation and sensitivity around the top of the nose and eyes.
- Cough, Fever, Bad Breath, and Other Symptoms.
Your sinus infection symptoms are unique to you. They can be impacted by allergies, cold/flu, and other infections or viruses. Also depending on other health conditions, you may experience your symptoms in different ways. This is why it is critical to get treatment from a professional who has the knowledge, skills, and experience to understand your overall health and treat your unique sinus infection.
Our board-certified professionals will take the time to listen to your story, evaluate your overall health, and help put together a treatment plan that meets your individual needs. Don’t settle for someone else’s sinus treatment, let us put together a plan that works for you. Here are some common treatment options that you may want to consider.Am I a candidate for Balloon Sinuplasty?
Are sinus symptoms making you miserable?
If what you thought was just cold is still hanging on, and those antibiotics didn’t resolve your sinus pressure and drainage, your symptoms might be due to something more than a cold. You might be struggling with chronic sinusitis.
Find out by taking our sinus quiz.Take the quiz today!
Treatment for Sinus Infection
Sinus infections are most easily recognized by the frustrating and painful symptoms. Symptom management is an important part of sinus treatment. However, when infections are frequent, persistent, and severe, it becomes important to treat the underlying problems rather than simply controlling the symptoms. Your customized treatment plan will address symptoms and provide options to resolve the underlying cause of severe sinus infections. Our safe, effective, and affordable plans will fit your needs and help achieve your goals.
Natural Home Remedies for Sinus Infection
For mild sinus infections that are not frequent or resulting from a medical issue, natural home remedies can be a helpful tool to control symptoms. Most natural solutions work to reduce swelling, open sinus passages, and restore the natural flow of mucus. Natural home remedies are not risk-free and should always be used under a doctor’s supervision, but they may be an important part of your treatment plan. Some examples of natural solutions may include:
- Hydration - Drinking plenty of water to promote natural healing.
- Steam & Mist - When used correctly humidifiers can help encourage natural mucus drainage and help improve breathing.
- Sinus Rinse or Neti Pot - This natural method has increased in popularity and uses a salt water solution to rinse and clean the sinuses. If used incorrectly, all sinus rinse products have the potential to cause damage to the sinuses and contribute to other medical problems. Please consult your physician before using a sinus rinse product.
Sinus medications are often a helpful tool to rapidly control symptoms and manage infection. There are a variety of medications that each come in various forms. Some directly work to reduce infection while others help reduce inflammation and restore natural sinus drainage. Here are some of the most common medications used to treat sinusitis.
- Antibiotics - For sinus infections that are caused by bacterial infections, antibiotics are a highly effective short-term solution. In cases where the body is unable to naturally fight off or drain the infection, antibiotics can help the immune system by directly attacking the bacteria. Antibiotics are not recommended as a long-term solution for recurring or long lasting infections.
- Decongestants - These come in the form of a nasal spray, pill, or liquid solution. They work to quickly reduce swelling and help restore natural mucus flow. Decongestants can be a helpful tool to provide quick symptom relief. Decongestants should be used for short-term treatments as prolonged use carries additional risk.
- Corticosteroids - These come in pill or spray form and also help to reduce swelling. Some steroids are short-term solutions that quickly provide dramatic relief. Nasal sprays may be used as part of a long-term treatment plan that reduces symptoms and may help prevent infections.
Traditional Sinus Surgery
When frequent and severe sinus infections are caused by a physical defect or damage inside the nose, traditional sinus surgery may be a long-term solution. These physical problems may include:
- Deviated Septum - When the thin cartilage that separates your nasal passages is significantly moved to one side.
- Closed Passages - These can be caused by a number of factors including bone or tissues inside the nose.
- Nasal Polyps - Polyps are soft growths inside the nose that can contribute to blockage and increase the likelihood of infection.
Sinus surgery involves the cutting and removing of bone or tissue to open up the nasal passage. Traditional surgery is completed in a hospital or surgical center.
Sinus sufferers who are looking for a long-term treatment without the costs and risks of traditional surgery are turning toward balloon sinuplasty. This modern treatment has been around since 2005 and helped more than a half-million patients achieve sinus relief. With a 95% success rate and an impeccable safety record, it has grown in popularity. This minimally invasive procedure is done from the comfort of the doctor’s office and allows patients to quickly get back to normal activity.
This simple procedure inserts a tiny balloon into the blocked sinus passage which is gently inflated to restore natural sinus flow. Once the sinus is opened and cleaned, symptom relief is dramatic. It is possible to find lasting sinus infection relief in less than an hour with this innovative solution.